Prev: RE: SG2 Scale Survey Next: Re: Merc Guild

Re: Merc Guild

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:13:49 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Merc Guild

--- Brian Bilderback <bbilderback@hotmail.com> wrote:

> if they're an elite unit, be able to command the
> price they want, including
> some sort of insurance against loss of equipment.

1)You can't get blood from stones.  If you're charging
more than your customer can afford, you're what's
technically called "unemployed."

2)WTF sort of IDIOT would insure combat equipment?
You'd have to be a moron, or charge the sort of rates
that make it uneconomical.  Remember, insurers have to
turn a profit too.  I'm sure we've got an insurance
business profession on the list (we seem to have
everything else) would could discuss this better than
I do.  But the whole basis of insurance is that you
want to be charging more than you're paying out.  This
works if you've got 100,000 people paying $100 a month
and paying out $1,000,000 to the 10 people who die
that month.  But the frequency of combat losses (what
percentage losses does the average Dirtside II game
inflict?  Frequently in excess of 80%--often in the
space of one or two turns) make the premiums more or
less the equivelant of buying a couple tanks a month.

3)Shall I bring up the question of life insurance?
You also need to have some sort of feeder of
replacement troops in--and trained ones, too.

John

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Prev: RE: SG2 Scale Survey Next: Re: Merc Guild