Prev: Re: How I see the Tuffleyverse was Re: Merc Guild Next: Re: How I see the Tuffleyverse was Re: Merc Guild

RE: Merc Guild

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:57:53 -0700
Subject: RE: Merc Guild

But the point of hiring mercs is that you aren't buying the equipment,
you are renting it.  It is far cheaper to rent than to buy.  In addition
you are hiring people to run the equipment for you.  It's like hiring a
plumber to install a sink for you.  You hire him because he has the
specialized equipment and the skill to use them, and although expensive,
it is much cheaper than buying all the tools that he uses and learning
all his skills.  It would be rare but not unheard of to offer a plumber
equipment as well as paying him for his services.  It is assumed that
you get what you pay for, and if you are paying a premium for mercenary
services, then I would assume that they are covering basics like ammo,
fuel and their own equipment.

You could work this angle in that maybe a planet has light industrial
and might offer something like trucks, cargo movers, fuel, food or
something like that as partial payment if they didn't have enough cash.

--Binhan