Prev: Re: back to the flock, FT questions Next: Re: [Not so OT]Military discipline problems

Re: Experience and Training

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 20:45:31 EST
Subject: Re: Experience and Training

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 12:17:06 +1100 Beth.Fulton@csiro.au writes:
>G'day,
>
>> All nations have had aberrant (by
>> modern western standards) practices during war.
>
>That's what I meant Glenn ;)
>
>Beth

Then we agree that "civilized behavior" is an ideal (and I *do* believe
ideals are exceptionally to be valued despite the frequent appearance of
otherwise by moi) that is more often then not (ratio varying) practiced
by most troops most of the time?  But that the failure to follow such
standards is the reason so many of the failures to obey the standards
are
known in military history?  (Chivington, Malmedy, etc.)

It is times of retreat, pending failure/defeat, morale (and moral)
breakdown, and extreme cultural clashes that such things tend to become
the near-norm in war.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: back to the flock, FT questions Next: Re: [Not so OT]Military discipline problems