Prev: RE: FMA Brigade Next: Re: FMA Brigade

Re: Catholics in Space!

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 22:20:06 -0500
Subject: Re: Catholics in Space!

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@sympatico.ca>
> Hordes of starships stamping out heresy is a Puritan (protestant)
thing, more
> likely to spring from a tightly knit group of born-again christians,
than from
> Roman Catholics.

Beg your pardon?  The Catholic Church preached the original crusades
right after Manzikert, and continued to stamp out heretics (eg the
Albigensians) for quite a while.  The Papal States sent ships to
Lepanto and IIRC had their own troops until mid 1800's or so.

In any event, I don't see a church (Catholic or Protestant) having
much in the way of ships; as you said, Christianity influences the
politics of the state it's in but doesn't straitjacket it the way

Prev: RE: FMA Brigade Next: Re: FMA Brigade