Prev: Re: GZGverse Govt Structure Next: Santa - Don't Mess With The Fat Old Dude

Re: Nomenclature2 (NSL, FSE, ESU)

From: "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@t...>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 01:38:21 -0000
Subject: Re: Nomenclature2 (NSL, FSE, ESU)

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 8:08 PM
Subject: Nomenclature (NSL, FSE, ESU)

> I know we have some multi-lingual speakers
> and people with an idea of how these nations
> might constitute their forces in the future out
> there, so help me out (I'm trying to do up
> some vehicle cards and force structures)....
SNIP
> 4) How would ESU translate to Russian and
> Chinese?

In Russian, "Evropeskiy Sotsialisticheskiy Soyuz"

> 5) What would the ESU Army be known as?

I agree with John (quick, nurse, the screens!) that Red Army is the best
bet.  In the old days, it was the "Workers and Peasants Red Army",
Raboche-Krestoyanskaya Krasnaya Armiya, RKKA.

> 6) Would the ESU have a separate Marine
> branch? Known as what?

The Russians have had "Naval Infantry" since Pontius was an AC/2;
however,
the Russian term is Morskaya Pyekhota, or "sea infantry".  I suggest
that
this be updated to Kosmicheskaya Pyekhota, "space infantry".  Russian
Paras
are the VDV, Vozdushno-Desantnaya Voiska, "air-assault forces".  This
could
update to Kosmichesko-Desantnaya Voiska, KDV, "space-assault forces" or
Voennokosmichesko-Desantnaya Voiska, keeping VDV for reasons of
tradition
"military space-assault forces".

> 7) Vehicle Types:
> Tank:
> English: Tank
> French: Char?
plus variants e.g. Char d'Assaut, Char de Rupture
> German: Panzer
> Spanish/Italian: Carro Armato plus variants e.g. Carro di Rottura
> Chinese:?
> Russian: Tank!
Polish: Czolg
Japanese: Sensha "battlewagon"

> APC/AIFV/MICV:
> English: APC/AIFV/MICV
> French: Vehicle Alimente d'Infanterie, Vehicle Blinde d'Infanterie
> German: Schutzenpanzerwagen
> Spanish/Italian: ?
> Chinese:?

> Russian: APC is Bronetransporter, BTR, "armoured transporter"
		 IFV is Boyevaya Mashina Pyekhota, BMP, "infantry
fighting
vehicle"
		While I'm at it, anything antiaircraft is liable to be
Zenitniy, "zenith".  A missile system is a Kompleks, "complex".  SP Gun
system is Samokhodnaya (sometimes Artilleriskaya) Ustanovka
"self-propelled
(artillery) apparatus or unit". A gun can also be Oruzhiye, "gun",
Pushka,
"cannon" or Gaubitsa, "howitzer".
Engineer adjectives are Inzhinerskiy and Saperskiy.

Nu, tak.

Rob Paul

Prev: Re: GZGverse Govt Structure Next: Santa - Don't Mess With The Fat Old Dude