Prev: RE: [OT] Voting schemes Next: Re: Framework of nations

Re: Replacing DSII Damage chits with die roll

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:02:56 +0100
Subject: Re: Replacing DSII Damage chits with die roll

Andrew Martin wrote:

> >Has anyone "coocked up" a table to allow damage to be resolved by
rolling
> >dice ?

I'm aware of at least four: my own (which Roger Books already posted to
you), Brian Bell's (was at www.ftsr.org last time I checked), and Andrew

Martin's two.

The following comments are all IMO (and I'm biased towards my own
system):

My system gives less "damage" results (particularly for heavy weapons)
and
more total kills than the chits, but the overall lethalities are similar

across the board. The mechanics aren't quite as elegant as I would've
liked
though - in particular you need to do multiplication of integers in your

head quite a lot instead of just comparing two dice directly against one

another.

Brian's system uses very elegant game mechanics, but it makes the
differences between different weapon sizes, and between different chit
validities, very small. In general, weapon lethalities go up - the HEL/1
in
particular is pretty much a God Weapon in this system (particularly when

used in multiple-weapon mounts, eg. 5-7 HEL/1s in a single turret all
hitting the same target).

Andrew Martin's Damage Chit Chart gives *almost* the same results as the

chits. Which is kinda annoying, since it could've given *the same*
results
as the chits instead... it also uses a D20 when a D10 would've sufficed,

making the look-up table twice as large as it could've been (there are
119
chits in DS2, so 1D10 and 1D12 together can cover it. Re-roll if you
roll
'10'+'12').

Andrew's Dice System is far less lethal than any of the above - it gives
DFFG/5 at Close range a mere 46% chance of killing an Armour/1 target
and
43% of damaging it, compared to the 92% chance to kill, 0% chance to
damage
and 8% chance of a Systems Down - Firer the chits give. All other
weapons
are weaker (OK, except for the size/3+ GMSs, but they don't exist in the

published game...). In addition it uses the most complicated game
mecanics
of them all.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: RE: [OT] Voting schemes Next: Re: Framework of nations