Prev: Re: Attitude on the UN Next: [OT] [Completely, absolutely without redeeming social value] Inflammatory?

Re: [OT] Reprehensive Voting schemes

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <siefertma@w...>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 09:49:47 -0600
Subject: Re: [OT] Reprehensive Voting schemes

----- Original Message -----
From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 6:23 AM

> Pardon me being pedantic, but you should check the meanings of words
you
> use:

    I am quite aware of the definitions of the words "reprehensive" and
"representitive."  It was a spelling error that made worse by my lazy
use of
the spell checker.  I apologize for my error, but it happens.

> Note the "Free Man". First off, I'm not sure that in Medieval Iceland,
women
> could vote.I rather doubt it. Second, there were unfree men in
Iceland,
and
> a man could become unfree, for example because he couldn't  pay off
debt
or
> as punishment for a crime. Thus, there were other ways to become
> disenfranchised.

    I was in no means advocating a return to the pure historical system.
Rather, I was using it as an example of an alternative to
district-based,
winner-take-all democracy.

Later,

Prev: Re: Attitude on the UN Next: [OT] [Completely, absolutely without redeeming social value] Inflammatory?