Prev: B'n FMA (and a comment on Captains) Next: Re: Unsubscribing

B'n FMA (and a comment on Captains)

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 03:37:37 -0500
Subject: B'n FMA (and a comment on Captains)

B'n FMA:
What about the scenario where your unit is
deployed for all around defence? I don't know
about anyone else, but I remember seeing my
infantry unit to this both at the Platoon and
Company level, and see no reason why it
couldn't be done at higher levels. Thus I think
there are conditions where the rear and flank
attack modifiers should be nullified. I'd think
you'd be a right mellonhead of a CO if you
didn't watch your flanks and rear.... and be
ready with contingency orders to pivot the line,
bend an end around, or collapse the whole
thing into an enclosed perimeter if required.

Captains:
Ship's Captains (the appointment/position) get
the title Captain. I thought other Captains
aboard get the rank of "Commodore" not
"Commander" (ie an honorary bump up is okay,
bumping down is not). Or is this not the case in
the USN? I also understood if you had Marine
Captains aboard, they'd be referred to as
Majors, but that was only what I thought I
recalled.

Oh, and why Marines?
A rapidly deployable force where all members
are fundamentally capable of operating as
infantry in a pinch and that is capable of being
inserted to take and hold ground while
conventional Army forces are being deployed
just seems to make sense. It takes a while to
get M1s to a battlefield. Having a range of
deployable options, including MEUs, just makes
sense.

As to sailors with guns (yikes!), that isn't all that
bad. In the RCN, the Bosun usually has a
number of sailors trained in boarding party
actions which he can take across. They
specialize in securing their own ship, boarding
and searching vessels, and if need be,
commandeering those same vessels. They
wouldn't be as good as full fledged Marines in a
fight (lesser firepower) and wouldn't handle
themselves as well on landing parties (they are
still swabbies), but they know the sharp end of
a rifle and are more than capable of coping
with most boarding actions (defensively or
offensively).

But then, Canada has never really had Marines
that I can think of, so this just makes sense for
us. If we had Marines aboard, we'd probably
have a use for them boarding-wise. But the
other thing is the Bosun and the other
boarding-trained sailors can do sailor jobs.
Canadian ships tend to be small. If Marines
were aboard, they'd have to also do ship duty -
something like manning the AA guns or close in
defenses or maybe running the depth charge
rack. I hear tell that in some time periods,
Marines have been gun crew for secondary
batteries on larger battlewagons. That might
even make sense in 2183.