Prev: Re: Unsubscribing Next: Re[2]: Unsubscribing

Re: FMA Battalion

From: Andy Cowell <andy@c...>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:59:22 -0600
Subject: Re: FMA Battalion

In message <002b01c17edf$1bc533c0$8756c943@pavilion>, "Laserlight"
writes:
> I'm continuing to think slowly about this, I figure by 2185 or so
> it'll be ready...

This sounds intriguing.

> Each unit has die type ratings for Attack, Defense, and Move,

Morale?  Why are Attack and Defense seperate values?

> HQ's exist to dispense initiative (abstracting both C^3 and supply).
> The player is the top level of command and rolls a die to determine
> which (numbered) command gets to move.

I may have missed earlier discussions, but why are you dicing to see
which unit gets to move?  I'm not opposed to this, but there doesn't
seem to be FMA precedence (that I'm aware of, maybe the much elusive
skirmish rules work like this...)

Maybe some sort of mechanism where the HQ must work to maintain
current unit ratings-- better commanders keep their troops supplied
and with high morale, bad commanders keep running out of fuel, have
disgruntled troops with no food, etc...  Troops cut off from the HQ
risk faster degredation, etc...

> As the game wears on, initiative will wear down in one way or
> another--maybe subtract 1 from the max die roll each turn.

Why not a down shift on the command die?

> Units which lose a combat (opposed die roll) should lose 1 die type
> off their Attack rating,

What about morale?  Seems about as likely to affect morale-- a defeat
or two, and perhaps the unit simply won't stand and fight any longer,
regardless of it's true fighting strength (although, I guess you could
consider "Attack Rating" to be a generalization of combat ability and
willingness to fight-- like I said, I may have missed earlier
discussion.).

> I say "company" and "platoon" above but it may fit better as
> "battalion" and "company"...that would make the player a brigade
> commander.

I'd say concentrate on brigade...SG2 could conceivably due an entire
battalion (esp. with a little streamlining of casualties).  This would
also allow you some different types of battalions on the table, and
seems more "grand tactical."  Not just big and easy SG2, but a
different game.  That's my 2c.

It rhymes.  GZG BC.  Shouldn't you jump straight to version 2?	:-)

PS: Today is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor-- for an updated WW2

Prev: Re: Unsubscribing Next: Re[2]: Unsubscribing