Prev: Re: [FT] Needle fleet now Cthulhu... and way OT. Next: Re: [FT] Needle fleet now Cthulhu... and way OT.

Re: Future Wet Water Navy structure: Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 07:24:16 +0100
Subject: Re: Future Wet Water Navy structure: Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn M Wilson" <triphibious@juno.com>
Subject: Future Wet Water Navy structure: Re: [OT] A variety of
terminology/history questions

> The Vacc-heads think (maybe rightly I tend to disagree) surface ships
> (other then glorified Coast Police roles) would be toast to Space
ships
> (Although I only remember Oertillery mentioned in the ground strike
role
> of DS 2 and how many scenario 'invasion fleets' include such ships?)

Assuming that all waters or underwater grounds are exploitable, the
"Coast
Police" will have to cover all the oceans

As to orbital anti-ship weaponry, I would see a lot of caveats. First
off,
lightspeed alone will ensure that there is a few split-seconds lag
between
the plotting of a target and the arrival of the beam/missile/whatever in
that position. Time enough for a fast intended target to jink out of the
firing line. Missiles with seeker heads are susceptible to
countermeasures.
There certainly is room for PSB to make it an interesting contest,
especially if you equip the sihp with surface-to-space missiles/beams.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [FT] Needle fleet now Cthulhu... and way OT. Next: Re: [FT] Needle fleet now Cthulhu... and way OT.