Prev: Re: [OT] WWII rules? Next: Re: [FT] Needle fleet now Cthulhu :)

Nanotechnology

From: Shig the Unmentionable <shig@p...>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 14:14:44 -0500
Subject: Nanotechnology

First off, hello to the list.  I just joined about a week ago and
have been lurking up until now.  I'm mostly playing DSII; I like
tanks, and Dirtside so far seems about as fast-playing as Ogre ever
was but with a much more robust system.

On the subject of nanotechnology.  As I understand it, there are two
models for how industrial nanotech might work:	the assembly line and
the tree.  With the assembly line, the assemblers and disassemblers
(the "nanites," if you prefer; I don't) are arranged along the walls
of a big vat, which is filled with a "soup" containing the raw
materials for whatever is to be built.	As the right molecule passes
within reach of the right assembler arm, the arm grabs it and snaps
it into place.

The "tree" model is just like what it sounds like:  a "seed" is
planted in a resource-rich environment.  Contained in the seed are
the blueprints for what is to be built, the controlling computer, and
enough basic tools to get started.  As the seed grows, taking in
solar energy and resources from the "soil," it uses its existing
tools to build more specialized tools and expand itself outward to
reach more energy and resources.  Once it reached a certain level of
maturity, it could begin producing whatever it was created to
produce:  screwdrivers, PDAs, suits of powered armor, etc.

Both models have their advantages and disadvantages.  The "fifth
column" tourists mentioned in the fiction that started this thread
would probably be using the tree/seed method, but it probably would
still take weeks before anything useful could be grown, and that
would probably be plenty of time for police microbots to discover the
operation.

Note that in neither of these models are the assemblers floating
freely in the air, making use of whatever they come into contact
with.  In the assembly line, they're constrained by the physical
limits of the vat.  In the tree model, they're contained inside the
tree itself; as with a real tree, the only interaction they have with
the outside environment is when the tree absorbs sunlight and food
and gives off waste products.  Assemblers that could survive and
reproduce in the open air would be extremely dangerous; they'd
probably only be created as a weapon of mass destruction.

Ramifications for the game... well, I suspect that you'd have to
write a whole new game.  Nanotech will do more than just streamline
production of tanks and allow for stronger materials; it will likely
change the face of warfare completely.	Tanks and powered armor would
quickly become irrelevant; one man with some utility fog
(http://www.wildirisdesign.com/nano/ufog.html) would be close to
invulnerable to anything Dirtside has to offer short of a direct
nuclear strike, and would be able to singlehandedly level a sizeable
city.  This is just one example.

--
I am Shig the Unmentionable	   Peace and Justice
      and I have spoken.

Prev: Re: [OT] WWII rules? Next: Re: [FT] Needle fleet now Cthulhu :)