Prev: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale Next: Re: [OT] What mailing list is this again?

敒›佛嵔䜠뛃牨敤

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:01:37 +0100 (MET)
Subject: 敒›佛嵔䜠뛃牨敤

Alan and Carmel Brain schrieb:
> > Pardon me being pedantic: There must be a slight
> > confusion here. The fight at the Göhrde was between
> > French troops and an allied force
>
> Danke Schön Karl!
>
> This really made me chuckle - my source was a book by Sgt
> Thomas Morris of the 2/73rd, and one of the reasons why they were so
> confident assaulting a position holding 2 cannon, and uphill, was
that
> they thought at the time - and Sgt Morris writes - that their
opposition
> were Saxons in French uniforms, not French Regulars! Thanks for
correcting me.

Could still be true. The Osprey lists them as French line regiments,
with unit numbers. Whether the men in the units were actually Francais
would need detailed research.

> > Anyway, being outnumbered 4-1 certainly didn't help the
> French
>
> Walmoden's troops were nowhere near the quality of their
> opposition though....

> I'm sure there's even more meat for a DSII scenario here
> than I'd thought.
> On one side outnumbered FSE regulars in IC mercenary
> uniforms, on the other a large bunch of NAC-equipped local militia...

Plus ESU and NSL equipment (or at least uniforms, most of the weaponry
was supplied by Britain)- there were Russian Cossacks, Russian-German
legion forces, Prussian Freikorps in that battle.

> with one solitary NAC regular unit and an unreliable Secret Weapon.
The
> referee would have great fun leading both sides astray...
>
> Any more sources you know of about Göhrde, BTW?

Nothing detailed and reasonably recent, unfortunately. A number of
19th/early 20th century histories in German.

I have been to the battle-site (not far from Hamburg) and it is
overgrown nowadays, not at all like what it looked like in 1813. There
is a diorama in a local museum. It was closed the day I went there :-(

A websearch on " goehrde schlacht " will get you some German sites with
nice pictures/maps, but not much details.

Greetings

Prev: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale Next: Re: [OT] What mailing list is this again?