Prev: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale Next: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

RE: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 01:06:10 -0500
Subject: RE: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

Hey folks,

Ok, this is a bit long.  I had plenty to say... :)

>Seriously, you guys need to develop a sense of humour. You may be smart

>enough to understand reality and the media, though these days I think
you
>will find a lot of people can't see any difference between the two :)

Hear, hear, Derek.

Look, this is getting a wee bit out of hand.

As (I think) Iain said, it's only a game, and what the heck is wrong
with a
Brit-centered universe/history for once, anyway...

Jon T. has, IIRC, mentioned *on this list* that the history he provided
in
the game is meant for fun, partially tongue-in-cheek, as a means of
providing an excuse to have battles.  He's British, so *why not* write a
Brit-centered history?

It isn't "realistic" enough?

This is science fiction.  I could think of several ways to justify
having
the US fall completely to pieces and dissappear all together as a world
power in the next 50 years, let alone the next 200.  I could think of
ways
the US could form a fascist-ish world government subjugating everyone
else,
in the next 50 years, too.  Either is just as "realistic".  The Roman
Empire covered much of the "known" world, then disappeared.  The British
Empire ruled more of the world than any other, ever, in recorded
history.
And ended up in the dustbin inside of 50 years.  And so on.  Things
change.
 But in the end, that stuff really doesn't matter.

If you don't like the canon history, then don't play using it.

>Any history that does not take the US Constitution and
>culture and the will of Americans into consideration in the formation
of the
>NAC isn't REALLY an NAC, it's a reborn British Empire inspired merely
>say, "Screw you, Yanks."

Oh crap.  That's just silly.

That's verging on paranoid, and reading a lot more into what is and
isn't
said in the Canon than is really there.

What you mean is that any history that doesn't let the US be the
US-in-space isn't satisfying to you.

I don't know what Jon T's motivations were while writing the Canon
history,
but I'm sure it wasn't a big conspiracy designed specifically to stick
it
to the US...

Why do you assume that the US must be the
US-as-you-know-it-now-mostly-and-maybe-changed-a-bit in any future
history,
or the history is just out to "Screw you, Yanks."?

Good grief.

>Sadly, it's so popular to lampoon Americans these
>days, no one really takes time to pay attention to what we're really
like.

Balls.

Up here in the Great White North, we get AmericaAmericaAmerica as much
as
we can take.  Don't get me wrong, Candians (including me - very much so)
generally love our Southern Brethran - there were over 20,000 Canadians
that turned out at the Canada-Loves-New York rally, *in New York city*,
this past weekend, including our Prime Minister -  for example.  But
don't
give me the "no one really knows us" line...  I took a year of American
history in *highschool* for pete's sakes.  America is lampooned because
it's the big boy on the block, and because too many Americans take
themselves way too seriously sometimes.  That's how it goes.  Canada is
lampooned for being backwards and too nice and wishy-washy.  The Brits
are
lampooned for being a bunch of toffee-nosed-prigs.  The French are
lampooned for being.... er... French.  The Australians are lampooned for
being just like Crock Dundee.  And so on.  It's all in fun.

Ever looked at Revolution-era US political cartoons?  English political
cartoons of the same era, for that matter?  Lampooning the Crown like
crazy...

Why?

Big boy on the block...

>wonder if anyone who holds to the American NAC nobility line actually
>understands just how deeply ingrained in the American psyche is the
>resistance to any sort of imposed perrage/nobility/monarchy.  Good God,
we
>almost rejected our first and arguably most beloved president because
some
>people thought he acted too much like a king.	That's why the official
>address of a US Pres is "Mr. President," not, His Honorness or His
>worshipfulness or some other folderol.

I wonder if you read the GZG history in the GZG rule books?  The
formation
of the AC (later NAC) comes 50 years from now, after the US economy and
government collapse, after a big civil war, and after years of putting
things back together.  Look at US during the period from, say 1775 to
1830.
 British Colony to powerful republic, with a completely different ethos,
different politics, different social structure, etc.  Remember that the
American heroes who started the revolution considered themselves to be,
in
a large part, loyal Englishmen.  They tried and tried to get the Crown
recognize their issues and grievences, and make changes within the