Prev: Re: Another political question re: Tuffleverse Next: Re: Another political question re: Tuffleverse

Re: Regimental Mottos and Surprises

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 23:22:22 +1100
Subject: Re: Regimental Mottos and Surprises

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com>

> > BTW Your starter for 10: The 22nd's unofficial motto
> > since Chipewa (sp?) has been "Regulars, By God!"
> > I've forgotten who said it. P. Rials?. I'd even
> > forgotten which regiment it applied to. IIRC their
> > official motto is "Deeds, not words", that much I do
> > remember.
>
> "Deeds, not Words" is the motto of the 36th Infantry
> Regiment--to whose 1st Batallion my unit was attached
> in Kosovo.  AKA the Spartans.

See http://www.22ndinfantry.org/history_notes.htm

But also:

143 Field Artillery http://www.militarymuseum.org/143FAinsig.html
6th N.Carolina Infantry
Fort Garry Horse (Ok, they're Canadian...)

As well as the 36th.

And the reason "Around the world in 80 days" was going
through my head was because it was Phineas Rials (not Fogg)
who said "Regulars, By God!". At Chippewa, when the
22nd in undyed grey (like militia) showed their true colours
(so to speak) and gave the Brits a rude shock.

Contrast this incident with Gohrde, 16 September 1813, where
a force of Hanoverians in British "Redcoats" were against
the Saxons. The Saxon general had just about convinced his
uneasy men that they weren't all British Regulars but
Hanoverians, when the force marching up the central
hill under heavy fire unfurled the King's colours of the 2nd
Battalion, 73rd Regiment of Foot.

It was the only British infantry on the field, but the
Saxon general lost both his credibility, and the battle, at
that instant. Alas, unlike Rials, his words are lost to posterity.

It occurs to me that such surprises have application to
some interesting scenarios in FT, SG2 and DS2.

Prev: Re: Another political question re: Tuffleverse Next: Re: Another political question re: Tuffleverse