Prev: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale Next: carwars site?

Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

From: WJAL21@a...
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 20:18:42 EST
Subject: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

johnmatkinson@yahoo.com writes:

> --- WJAL21@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Most Nobility currently are "Life Peers". The title
> > is not passed on to  descendants.
> > Also they are generally awarded to People making an
> > outstanding contribution  to the country. Senior
> > military officers, Chief Constables, civil servants,
>
> > retired politicians, and very successful
> > businessmen. Of course there also  those who get an
> > award for sucking up to the right person, i.e. the
> > Prime  Minister.
> > They are really a pat on the back for a job well
> > done.
>
> That's what they have become.  That's not what they
> were.

And I hope never will be again.

> > As for Americans accepting them I don't think there
> > is much doubt they would.
>
> There's not much doubt in my mind that more than a few
> of us would kill the man that claimed peerage among
> Americans.  It's forbidden in our Constitution.

Was in your constitution. But will it be in the NAC constitution?

> > t's not as if they are any more modest about their
> > achievements than the  English. There are a couple
> > of Americans given a title every now and again, I
> > think normally a Knighthood. General Stormin Norman
> > (sorry can't spell his
> > surname) got one after the Gulf war.
> > Just my opinion.
>
> Always honorary.  You can't knight an American, nor
> make him a baron et al without revoking his
> citizenship.

And that's all the titles really are in the UK, honorary.

> You're forgetting the basic premise of a
> Republic--there is neither higher nor lower title than
>  A free man kneels to no one and need no one
> to kneel to him.  Nobility is only significant if
> you've got serfs.  That's why there's something like
> 12 men that own 80% of Scotland.

Every society has its social ranking structure, adding titles just
formalises
portions of it.
And more importantly as this is a fictional future it sound cool to have

'General Sir John Atkinson" or "Admiral Lady Beth Fulton" commanding
your NAC
forces.

John Law

Prev: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale Next: carwars site?