Prev: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale Next: Re: NAC Units, Why do we only talk about British Units

NAC Units, Why do we only talk about British Units

From: "Richard Kirke" <richardkirke@h...>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 17:55:05 +0000
Subject: NAC Units, Why do we only talk about British Units

Hi To all of you,

On the subject of why British Regiments behave like noone else really
counts
one has to think about time scale. I am English and live in England, and

there are biudings still standing near where I live that are older than
the
US by a number of centuries.

The British Army is made up of Regiments that have several hundred years
of
history tradition. I am not aware of any British units in existence
without
some kind of Royal award, hero or great battle honour; hell even the
Royal
Artillery (who's job it is now to shoot people from a very long way away

with very big guns/missiles) have one. The Fusiliers have their Hakle
(sp?),
The RA their "Ubique" etc, the British army doesn't really consider the
RAF
to have proper traditions (more sort of habbits!). With all the
amalgamations going on these days most units have strings of honours as
long
as their preverbial arms. The Paras, not having been around for very
long,
still feel that they have something to prove, and it has fought in
nearly
every available war since its formation.

This is not to in any way look down on the US Army and its Battle
honours, I
am sure that a Yank (or Jonny Reb) is as brave as the next man in
battle,
its just that the British army has a very very long and very
distinguished
history of which is is rightfully very proud and so each regiment does
tend
to have a flavour that can easily be adopted and extended easily for a
made-up unit (since capbadges, badges of rank and beret colour etc. can
be
looked up and can be recognised by those in the know very easily).

Well thats enough of a civilian going on about how great the British
army is
(BTW my family's (on both sides) military history goes waaaaaaaaaaaay
back
(General Sir Percy Kirke at Battle of the Boine...), and most of the
opinions are based on those of my family, one of which is a Military
Historical Anthropologist and Colonel, the other is a genealogist)

Peace and Goodwill to all

Bah Humbug

Richard