Prev: Re: General walker stuff from the peanut gallery :o) Next: FT: Do you enforce Fleet "composition"

Re: [OT] Gill

From: Mike.Elliott@i...
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 13:39:59 +0000
Subject: Re: [OT] Gill

I think you'll find it is RAF Mildenhall, not Mindenhall. I ought to
know,
I spent the first 18 years of my life in Suffolk!
Come to think of it, Jon T. is still there....
regards, Mike

Now, you have to understand, up until the joke that confused so many of
us
colonials, I don't recall ever hearing of gill as a volume. I have heard
lists of obscure measures, but just draw blank on that.

Funny coincidence: at a 'thrift store', I saw a bar shot dispenser
(insert
fifth of liquor upside down, push glass up against dispenser, get a
measured shot).

Now, I don't have a home bar; in fact, probably consume alcohol on the
drink per quarter schedule at best, but I noticed a plastic plate
indicating 'RAF Mindenhall Suffolk, England'. My strained memory was
that
Mindenhall was US 8th's HQ during WWII, but even if not, I was tempted
by a
supposed RAF artifact.

The clincher was the indication, on the lower clear part, that it
measured
'1/6 Gill'. ;->=

Back to your on-topic discussions, already in progress.

The_Beast

**
Privileged, confidential and/or copyright information may be contained
in
this e-mail. This e-mail is for the use only of the intended addressee.
If
you are not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for
delivering it to the intended addressee, you may not copy, forward,
disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any way whatsoever. To
do
so is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you receive this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender
immediately
by using the reply facility in your e-mail software.

Bull Information Systems Limited may monitor the content of e-mails sent
and received via its network for the purposes of ensuring compliance
with
its policies and procedures.

relationship between Bull Information Systems Limited and you.

Bull Information Systems Limited. Registered Office: Computer House,
Great
West Road, Brentford, Middlesex TW8 9DH. Registered in England.
Registration Number: 2017873

Thank you.

Prev: Re: General walker stuff from the peanut gallery :o) Next: FT: Do you enforce Fleet "composition"