Prev: General walker stuff from the peanut gallery :o) Next: Re: [OT] Gill

Re: General walker stuff from the peanut gallery :o)

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:48:48 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: General walker stuff from the peanut gallery :o)

ShldWulf@aol.com schrieb:

> Multi-leg models give much better stability though, at
> the expense of some  speed and mobility.

I would not even believe that multi-leg walkers would be slower that
2-legged ones.

Walking speed is essentially governed by leg length and weight. A
4-legged walker can have lighter legs than a 2-legged one and walk
somewhat faster.

Running consists, basically, of a series of jumps. Here a 4-legged
configuration has marked advantages. Note that many 4-legged animals,
even smaller than human, can outrun us.

Ditto for negotiating obstacles over treacherous ground unless you use
the hands as extra legs.

It is only in agility, in making quick turns that 2-legged walkers have
an advantage.

Greetings

Prev: General walker stuff from the peanut gallery :o) Next: Re: [OT] Gill