Prev: Re: Walkers, was RE: grav Next: offline

Re: mecha in SG/DS

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:44:21 GMT
Subject: Re: mecha in SG/DS

In message <3BFB0FC8.28061.1CC82D@localhost>
	  "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca> wrote:

[snip]

> I'm not saying walkers can't serve a purpose.
> One place would be in broken terrain (rubble,
> boulder fields, badlands, perhaps in some
> mountainous terrain) where tanks just can't go.
> And in urban situations, small walkers (size 1)
> might serve as good backup to infantry.

[snip]

Well, I don't play DS2 very often, but thinking about it, I think the
most likely design for a 'walker' vehicle in the conceivable future
would be a 4 or more legged version, designed, as mentioned above for
traversing broken terrain (IIRC I remember a Tomorrows' World piece many
years ago on a quadropedal logging vehicle).
Military walkers would likely tend to be smaller scout/reconnaissance
vehicles, rather than heavy tank-equivalents.

To represent such a walker (4+ legs) in DS2, I suggest that they ignore
the special rules for walkers on p.14 (ie. all weapons are costed as
fixed mount, special fire arc rules, +1 signature) but still use the
'walker' mobility rules.

Just my own 2p.

Charles

Prev: Re: Walkers, was RE: grav Next: offline