Prev: IAVRs/SG2/DS2 grav Next: RE: grav

Re: grav

From: Coin Spinner <coinspinner_72@y...>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:36:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: grav

Guess I can throw in my two cents.

The way I see grav tech is the Repulsion type.	A
starship uses it grav drive to repel itself from the
nearest gravity well.  The larger the drive the
farther away or smaller the gravity well can be for
movement to occur.

If the grav drives on a tank are the same type of
technology as those in starships, then the main
difference is the size of the drive, the power plant,
and the amount of fuel each carries.  Starships are
pretty huge so they have big drives, big power plants,
and carry enough fuel to operate over stellar
distances.

Grav tanks are fairly small when compared to a
starship, otherwise how do they get to other planets.
I don't think there are any FTL capable grav tanks in
the GZGverse. So, they get little bitty grav drives,
little bitty power plants, and can carry limited fuel.
 The little bitty grav drive needs a BIG gravity well
or one that is VERY close in order to operate.	Thus,
under normal operations they tend to hug the ground.
For flight operations or orbital insertions, the grav
drive can be "pushed" by increasing the power supplied
to it, but this eats up fuel at a much higher rate
than normal operations.  Even though you could fly all
over the placed, and act like a vtol, or aerospace
fighter, I don't think you would want to since its
going to eat up your fuel at a much higher rate than
the equivalent vtol or fighter. Since they are going
to have the streamlining and other nifty bits for
attitude control that a grav tank will porbably not.
In game terms this doesn't really matter.  Since ammo
isn't tracked, I don't see why you would want to track
fuel.

On a points cost note: do most people cost there grav
forces as if they were drop troops, even if they start
the game on the ground.  Grav forces have the
capability so should pay for it, even if its not used
in a scenario.	I have not looked at it but you might
want them to pay for the interface lander ability as
well.  I think that's the right one, my DSII book is
at home.

Christopher K Smith

Prev: IAVRs/SG2/DS2 grav Next: RE: grav