Prev: RE: Re: more grav Next: Re: grav

IAVRs/SG2/DS2 grav

From: "Tomb" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:26:56 -0500
Subject: IAVRs/SG2/DS2 grav

1) John A: Please cite the reference where grav vehicles can fly in SG
or DS. I was under the impression Grav mobility in GZG was "a few feet
off the ground" rather than VTOL/Aerospace style flying.

2) Brian: A figure can only fire an IAVR if he does not fire his rifle
or SAW in the same activation. If the rules don't explicitly say this,
to quote my friend OO, then "they're wrong!". ;)

3) MDC: small MDCs (GACs) especially I always envisioned as having much
higher ROF than equivalent RFACs. I assumed this continued into the
larger weapons to give the better effective stats for an MDC.

4) There is some minimum amount of space a human needs to go to space to
be comfortable over the longer term (as the term increases, so probably
does the space requirement). This includes both the gear to support him
or her and the extra "living space" required to prevent them going
"postal". Similarly, if you needed to make a 45 min trip to orbit, a 4
hour skip to another continent, and a 45 min descent, then the APC has
to have enough space to make this feasible. But note that we contemplate
military actions in sealed suits and using PA - staying inside a shell
like that for more than 11 or 12 hours must be hell. What is the
duration limit for an astronaut on a spacewalk nowadays? I can't see
that much more than doubling in the GZGverse times. So on any planet
where you operate that has unbreathable atmosphere, you'll need places
for people to get in and get their kit off regularly. But what people
can endure when they must certainly tends to exceed what they can endure
_with_comfort_.

5) I'm not so sure I agree with 40 grav generators. You are protecting
yourself against a single point of failure by introducing the likelihood
of multiple smaller failures. Quite simply, in any system of high
reliability (I'm thinking 98%+), reliability engineering studies over
the years have shown that triple redundancy is the best - beyond that,
you run the risk of your system suffering failures due to being "too
redundant" and then you end up with a lower overall reliability. By
introducing 40 individual grav modules, I'm making 40 rolls of the d100
and conceivably one or two will come up 99 or 100 regularly. I'd think
two or three large redundant systems (hey, backup systems, what a
concept) would be key (unless you are the ESU).

Is there any reason a null-grav, contra-grav, a-grav (whatever)
generator can't be as simple as a large electromagnet? (ie perhaps solid
state with no moving parts). I assume that electromagnets fail.... very
very very rarely. Only a major materials failure would cause it. I'm not
saying we can do this now, but who knows? Maybe we'll discover a way to
negate mass effects or to provide counter force to gravitational force
with a very robust and simple mechanism with few or no failure prone
parts.

Mind you, in this case, everyone WILL buy grav tanks.

Prev: RE: Re: more grav Next: Re: grav