Prev: Re: To Grav or not to Grav? Next: RE: grav

Re: grav

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:01:23 +0100
Subject: Re: grav

John Atkinson wrote:

> > 5) Expense will limit how many forces you can field.
>
>Grav isn't that expensive--especially when expressed
>as a fraction of total vehicle cost.
>
>A high end grav tank (Heraclius) runs 331 points.
>That's with all the bells and whistles that you can
>fit on a size 3 tank except reactive/ablative armor.
>
>Constantine IV weighs in at 267.  It's a 19% savings
>to downgrade from grav to fast tracked, FGP to CFE,
>and MDC to HKP.  Stealth, PDS, and electronics remain
>top of the line.

This argument rests on two legs:

1) The DS2 points costs accurately reflects the values of tracked and
grav
propulsion

2) The DS2 points costs correspond directly to the "in-background" cost
of
purchasing and maintaining the vehicles in question.

Both of these are IMO extremely dubious: the DS2 points system is
demonstrably broken in a number of other areas which makes me kind of
wary
about trusting it in the other areas, and the points values it gives are

intended for balancing one-off tactical battles - they are intended to
reflect the vehicle's combat power *in a tactical battle only*. The
tactical combat power doesn't take operational or strategic advantages
into
account, and none of these have anything to do with how expensive (in
in-background money) the vehicle is to operate.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: To Grav or not to Grav? Next: RE: grav