Prev: Re: To Grav or not to Grav? Next: Re: grav

Re: To Grav or not to Grav?

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:55:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: To Grav or not to Grav?

--- Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@juno.com> wrote:

> 1. Cost - I think the Grav drives in DS2 are way
> under priced (IMO) for > even 2100-2200+ but this is
just MNSHO...  Have been > tempted to double
> the cost (or something closer to 150%.)  Unless time
> and technological > development stand still then
GRAV, even Mark XXI > with all the bells and
> whistles is going to *cost* big time.   Less so then
> the 'older' > technology of GEV, IMO.

True.  But. . . I don't like to fiddle with published
point systems.	I'm already using an incompatible
background to most of y'all.  I don't want to also be
using incompatible rules.

> 2. Maintenance - If an F-15 takes so much more time
> (or replacement pull > out and push in  'black
boxes' for modules that test > not "acceptable")
> then a simpler (relatively) F-16 there will be a
> need for each AFV to > have a 'maintenance crew' as
each aircraft has a > 'ground crew' - ready to
> reflect this is in your TO&E/costs?  Maybe 50% of

Now that's possible.  I'm assuming a fairly robust
system.  But even then, mechanics will be more
plentiful than present.

> 3. Maintenance costs (see above) This might be why
> there still are NAC > HMW and Tracked vehicles as
has been suggested > before.  Plus if you just
> pull and replace black boxes then that
> 'repair/replace' supply tail > becomes vitally

You're going to have to have some up-front capability
for electronics repair.  Otherwise it just doesn't
make much sense.  Of course, you'd probably be
surprised how little ground-pounders actually repair
and how much is "wait until it breaks and deadlines
the vehicle, then order a new one."

> 4. Cultural/Technical limits.  Is the third rate
> power going to spend > it's 'human resources' on
warriors or technicians?

That's why third-rate powers stay third-rate.

> gosh sake!  Maintenance > is something DS2 *assumes*
is done - *assumes*... > why does that make me
> nervous?

Because otherwise it's a boring game.  Maintinence
management is not fun, exciting, or entertaining.  And
a game that makes me manage PLL would have me slitting
my wrists in a week.

And if you use highly paid 'contract > maintenance'
workers, who > goes out on the battlefield in their
place?	And > what if they have > clauses in their
contracts that lets them out from > being in combat?

Why are we using contract workers below depot level?

John

Prev: Re: To Grav or not to Grav? Next: Re: grav