Prev: Re: Needle Beam questions and GBR Space forces Next: [OT] Afghan cavalry

Re: Needle Beam questions and GBR Space forces

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 07:18:23 -0500
Subject: Re: Needle Beam questions and GBR Space forces

Glenn wrote:

> So, it would behoove me to plan my batteries with 1 or 2 NB's paired
up
> with a FCS to maximize my damage when (IF) I get in close... 2+FCS on
> Engines, 1+FCS on enemy FCS#1, 1+FCS on Enemy FCS #2, and 1 +FCS on
> either FCS#3 or perhaps an AFDC/PDS on the ship.

At your own risk. A needle hits the targeted system only on a 6. If you
want a better than even chance of taking out your target system, as
Jaime said, you need at least 4 needles on it. If you want to be sure
you've taken it out, more like 7.  Allowing that many needles in a
single (fore) arc within 12" of a target is something your opponent will

be trying to prevent. I
Needle ships are unforgiving of average-to-bad die rolls.

A class 2 beam is almost always a better system for the mass and cost
than a needle. A while back alternative/upgraded needles were discussed
on the WDA, producing consensus, balanced (though still unofficial)
multi-arc and long range needles.

check out:
http://homepage.mac.com/nizenberg/WDA-Beams.htm#HNeedle
http://homepage.mac.com/nizenberg/WDA-Beams.htm#Multi-arc%20Needle

Prev: Re: Needle Beam questions and GBR Space forces Next: [OT] Afghan cavalry