Prev: RE: FT-Battleriders Next: Re: OT-Stars and planets and such

Re: FT-Battleriders

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 16:47:10 -0800
Subject: Re: FT-Battleriders

Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

> So how do they cope with:
>
> a) being the target of the fighters themselves? In my first round of
> "disposable" attack I often attack the ADFC ships and put the SMs into
the
> main targets. The opponent has the choice of not having standing a
good
> chance of not having ADFC ships next turn and so will be very open to
attack
> then or of getting hurt capitals this time round.

That'll depend on how much PDS is on the big capitals. I run an
integrated PDS system where each ship of cruiser up can support the
fleet. With a "bonus" net of riders I could shore up against a mass
attack and still have enough left over to soften any slit attack. I'd
have to split my fire a little differently but I'd expect the results to
be roughly the same.

> b) resisting some directed fire from "anti-rider" ships. That is
dedicated
> beam fire coming in on them to pop them before the missiles etc
arrive.
> That's the advantage to carriers with fighters, the fighters can't be
picked
> off by beams on the run in and the carriers can take a bit of
punishment
> themselves.

At which point your ships are also in fire range. I'd never run riders
as my only PDS support so where you'd most likely kill them all you'd
have to expend at least equal points in doing it.

I think it's just another arms race. In the end they'll balance out.

> The riders may end up working well as my ideas may not be worth much
(I'd
> have to play them and see), but they're something to keep in mind.

I think they'd work well as an addition to a balanced fleet.

Jaime

Prev: RE: FT-Battleriders Next: Re: OT-Stars and planets and such