Prev: Re: CNP and TTN (Was Hmmm.... Was Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers)) Next: RE: New Nation [longish]

Re: Ghurkas and Fieldcraft

From: aebrain@a...
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:27:32 +1100
Subject: Re: Ghurkas and Fieldcraft

> >I would believe either variant.

Me too.

During one exercise (in the Australian Air Training Corps when I was in
my teens) we had an "escape and evasion" scenario. There we were, 20 of
us in our parade boots and bright blue 1-piece overalls in a 100m x 100m
area of forest in broad daylight. We had 15 minutes to hide before the
searchers came through.
Most got caught, but 5 of us didn't.

It wasn't difficult untying one of the searcher's shoelaces. I took 12
names (reading name badges of anyone coming within 5 metres), someone
else got 15. I got stepped on twice.

Now agreed we had some time to prepare, we didn't have to move from our
locations, and they didn't use tracker dogs. But neither were we wearing
cammo uniforms. A lot of this "magic ninja stuff" - Fieldcraft as
practiced by Apaches, Gurhkas, etc is a lot easier than it sounds. Even
rank amateurs can do quite well if they give it a bit of thought, while
the professionals can work apparent miracles *in terrain they know well*
(emphasis added).

Prev: Re: CNP and TTN (Was Hmmm.... Was Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers)) Next: RE: New Nation [longish]