Prev: RE: CNP and TTN (Was Hmmm.... Was Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers)) Next: Re: [LST] Making a 'pedia entry Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers)

Re: M class Stars not planets

From: aebrain@a...
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:15:49 +1100
Subject: Re: M class Stars not planets

> Hiya,
>
> M-class stars are dimmer than G-class stars -- there's a mnemonic for
> stellar spectra that goes: "O, Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me" which relates
> to the letter-coded spectrum notation, in descending order of
brightness: O
> B A F G K M.

Or even "Wendy, Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me Right Now Sweetie."

W are the rare Wolf-Rayet class, twice as hot as O's.
R,N,S are various forms of Red Giants, not so much stars as thin clouds
of hot to lukewarm gas.

>From http://www.stellar-database.com/fields.html

Spectral class Temperature Color
O5 40 000 K blue
B0 27 000 K blue-white
B5 16 000 K
A0 10 000 K white
A5 8 200 K
F0 7 200 K yellow-white
F5 6 700 K
G0 6 000 K yellow
G2 5 800 K (our sun)
G5 5 500 K
K0 5 100 K orange
K5 4 300 K
M0 3 700 K red
M5 3 000 K

(These temperatures are in Kelvins.  To convert from Kelvins (K) to
degrees Celsius (°C), just subtract 273.)

The Stellar database http://www.stellar-database.com/
has some good info, including "comfort zones", or how far away a planet
should be in AU (Astronomical Units) to be Earthlike. Earth is 1 AU away
from Sol.

If you want random systems, have a look at
http://www.bcholmes.org/rpgs/WorldGeneration1.html

Finally, and this bit has nothing to do with the subject, a hilarious
site I found while doing a little research on the above:
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall/profquot.html