Prev: Re: [Waaaaaaaaaaaaay] Goats in Space Next: Re: Basques in Spaaaaaace and the NFR

Re: Boringness and Scots

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 02:26:28 -0500
Subject: Re: Boringness and Scots

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001 00:57:45 -0000, "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@tesco.net>
wrote:

>however, I would point out that we do tend to get everywhere, and that
as a
>people we have invented almost everything and deep-fried all the rest.

You have that right, on both comments! (I was born in Scotland, raised
in
Canada, and moving to the Deep South...).

I played a Scots engineer (William MacKay, pronounced "Wullie Mac Aye")
in a
Space: 1899 campaign for a while. In one memorable session that took
place
entirely in a restaurant at lunch, I ordered _pomme frites_. "Aye, I'll
ha'
the _pomme frites_. But could ye deep fry them?" Later, I told someone,
"Eat
it up. It's fried. It's good for ye." Since I've heard, in real life,
similar
comments, this was more ironic than parody!

(Or, this actual, true conversation between my Mom and her best friend;
both
of them are from Glasgow, but the friend was over here visiting:

Friend: "What's tha' yer taking?"
Mom: "It's just one of my pills. *sigh*"
Friend: "What's it for?"
Mom: "It's for high cholesteral."
Friend: "Och, we don't worry abou' tha' back hame."

The number one 999 -- like North American 911 -- call in Glasgow:
middle-aged
male with chest pains.)

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,
   "Jack B. Quick, Boy Inventor"

Prev: Re: [Waaaaaaaaaaaaay] Goats in Space Next: Re: Basques in Spaaaaaace and the NFR