Prev: RE: Powers That Be Next: Re: Powers That Be

Re: Cetaceans are people too! and some other odds n ends

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:35:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Cetaceans are people too! and some other odds n ends

--- Tomb <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca> wrote:

> I believe the Sovereignty of New Los Angeles does,
> as does the Turing > Republic (another AE Sov). (For
different reasons I > suspect). In fact,
> the Turing Republic has gone so far as recognizing
> the rights of all> sentient beings (regardless of
their format - carbon > or silicon based, > or other).

The NRE still doesn't go for Equal Rights for Muslims,
much less other species.  However, it has been
determined that anything with a passport issued by a
nation that is recognized by the NRE is a person with
the legal protections thereof.	Which permits dolphins
or gene-altered chimpanzees to travel to New
Constantinople for whatever reason strikes their
fancy.	The lawyers are still arguing over what would
be the Imperial response to a request to emmigrate to
an NRE planet by non-humans.

Sentient AIs are still considered pro nullis, pro
mortis, pro quadrupedis.  And AIs constructed in NRE
territory must be programmed with enough overrides to
prevent them acting against the interests/wishes of
their owners.  They are primarily used for supervision
of the automated factories which make up the majority
of the Empire's industry.

The question of where this leaves sentient AIs with a
passport has come up.  It has been mildly suggested
that using human agents for business within Imperial
territory is probably a better idea.

I'm cheating my way around the population limits by
presuming that Imperial social structures have
replaced the slave/serf/peasant class with robotics.

> Also, on another note: Mr. Atkinson, I will not be
> signing for any > packages weighing in at 50 lbs....
;)

It's a fruit basket, honest!

> Also, consider the population base you may well have
> to work with (I > have a theory that says with cheap
stardrive and > interstellar colony > space available,
that fecundity rates especially in > the colonies will
go > up again, a change from current worldwide trends

Frontier societies tend to value children far more
highly than settled ones.

> So do what makes _you_ happy, which is the REAL
> spirit of the GZG game
> universe.

Amen.

John

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com

Prev: RE: Powers That Be Next: Re: Powers That Be