Prev: RE: Pantropists/OU connection Next: Re: Powers That Be

Re: GEV Physics and GEVs for engineers

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 07:43:18 -0500
Subject: Re: GEV Physics and GEVs for engineers

devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> ***
> The recovery vehicle has a selection of thin plastic skirting that it
> wraps around the stricken vehicle, held on by a superglue and caulked
to be
> airtight.  An auxillary lift fan supplies the air to raise the
stricken
> vehicle
> through an umbilical, and tow cables take the strain of pulling it
along.
> ***
>
> I alluded to this earlier, though superglue seems a mite on the weak
side.
> A good deal of the weight of the carried item transfers to the skirt,
> right? Where it joins to the damage vehicle?

First, the skirt is not bearing the weight of the vehicle, the air
cushion is.
The temporary skirting is really only needed to patch up the skirt of
the
damaged vehicle.  Finally, that drop of superglue (between polished
surfaces)
would continue to support that guy in the hardhat, even if he gained
another
two thousand pounds [Time-Life Science: Giant Molecules].

> Anyway, I thought folks were balking at the idea of how you control
the
> towed item. Not insurmountable, though.

Given that it did not have brakes before it broke down, it is not that
much
harder to control (not that this is an easy task, just not much harder
than
controlling one).

Prev: RE: Pantropists/OU connection Next: Re: Powers That Be