Prev: Re: DS/FT/SG: Tuffleyverse Cannon & Personal Stratrgy/Tactics/Design Philosophies Next: Books for SG2

Re: GEV Physics and GEVs for engineers

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:00:33 +0100
Subject: Re: GEV Physics and GEVs for engineers

KH Ranitzsch wrote in reply to Tom Barclay:

> > On tracks, it has even
> > I'm a little unaware of the physics of a plenum
> > chamber. Is pressure concentrated around the
> > skirts, where air is contained? Is it greatest
> > under the fans? Is it equally distributed?
>
>The lifting medium is a gas, so as a first approximation the pressure
>would be equally distributed. There may be some minor pressure
>variation and heavy turbulence. I think the pressure would be
>marginally higher under the fans.

The pressure differences can be quite large, but it depends a lot on the

geometry of the outlet from the fan ducts. The pressure is most likely
lowest along the skirts where the air escapes from the air cushion.

> >Given that a GEV is higher off the ground than a
> >conventional tank, given that a GEV may have
> >significantly lower ground pressure, is it
> >possible that GEVs will have better luck
> >penetrating minefields?
>
>Conventional (present-day) minefields could be more easily crossed,
>yes. If GEV vehicles ever become a significant part of a nation's
arsenal, I
>have no doubt that Oerjan and his colleagues would have little trouble
>in coming up with mine designs that explode when a GEV (or even a Grav
>vehicle ;-) passes over them.

No need to wait that long; such mines are already in service. For side-
or
top-striking mines it doesn't matter whether or not the target touches
the
ground <shrug>

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: DS/FT/SG: Tuffleyverse Cannon & Personal Stratrgy/Tactics/Design Philosophies Next: Books for SG2