Prev: RE: [SG] 25mm Anime Next: Re: [FT] really quick 'n' simple sensor rules

Re: (SG2) Combined Heavy Weapons Fire

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:30:49 -0400
Subject: Re: (SG2) Combined Heavy Weapons Fire

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 00:04:47 -0700, "Eli Arndt"
<emu2020@wattosjunkyard.com>
wrote:

> Once again, how do you handle groups of support weapons and heavy
weapons
> firing at the same target, especially when there are no standard small
arms
> firing.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. What do you mean by "firing
at the
same target"? Are you talking about two or more support weapons firing
together at one target?

The way I've handled it, in the case of multiple SAWs and such, is as
follows.
Assume you have a squad consisting of two D10 firepower SAWs. I'd roll
quality
die + D10 + D10. If the two SAWs were firing with infantry in the same
squad,
it would be QD + rifle firepower die + D10 + D10.

The trickier problem is with multiple support weapons that can be fired
against point targets. I have a scenario where each attacker consists of
4
Power Armour guys with plasma guns. Now, if you let all 4 fire as a
combined
die roll at the enemy APCs they are ambushing, they will shred almost
every
one of them. There are just too many dice being rolled.

The way I handled it was to have each plasma gun fire one at a time when
firing at point targets. This worked surprisingly well.

So, for firing all 4 plasma guns at APCs, the player would roll QD + D6
for
each weapon. If it hits, it rolls D12 impact against the armour. If it
hits
with a MAJOR result, he rolls D12 x 2 (I haven't tried this with the new
method of rolling 2D12).

If firing all 4 plasma guns at an enemy squad, the player would roll QD
+ D6 +
D6 + D6 + D6. This sounds extreme, but it's not really. Those D6s  will
cause
a lot of damage if there's no cover or up close, but with any cover they
surpress and not much else.

So, there you have how I handled it: roll those support dice with the
quality
die against infantry, but resolve each support weapon separately against
point
targets.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: RE: [SG] 25mm Anime Next: Re: [FT] really quick 'n' simple sensor rules