Prev: RE: [FT] Forts (battle report using same) Next: Re: Eli's retro power armour pictures posted

Re: [DS] Mixed units?

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 07:00:36 +0200
Subject: Re: [DS] Mixed units?

Glenn Wilson wrote:

>Hence you could design a 7 vehicle unit (Klackons for those (Pre-GW)
>Space Marines veterans) OR a unit as follows:
>
>One size 4 APC/MICV, One Size 3 ADS, One Size 5 AFV, One size 2 TD, and
>One Size 1 Transport VTOL.

Exactly.

>But would it be an effective unit?  Only in specialized usage I expect.

Bingo. The point is that you're free to experiment with this kind of
mixed
units if you want to - and if it isn't effective, you don't have to keep
it
:-)

(In the above case, the VTOL will probably be quite restricted by the
unit
integrity rules since it is so much faster than the other vehicles in
the
unit...)

>And no, it doesn't appeal too much to me.

Then don't use them. Nothing forces you to <shrug>

>So, that expressed, what kind of mixed UNITs (having diverse ELEMENTS)
>might have some tactical advantage over traditional homogeneous
>formations?  Remember, this is not a 'tailored' formation but a
formation
>you would field in 'general' combat situations?  Your 'standard' TO&E
as
>it were.

One obvious case is having some but not all vehicles in a unit equipped
with LAD (with the others carrying GMS/L or somesuch instead). While not

standard TOE organisations, cross-attachments of tanks to infantry on
the
section level is fairly common for MOUT ops today; such task
organisations
are best represented as mixed tank/IFV/infantry unit in DS2.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: RE: [FT] Forts (battle report using same) Next: Re: Eli's retro power armour pictures posted