Prev: Re: Stan Johansen miniatures Next: Re: [HIST] Recent events and the GZG Universe (was: Thoughts on World Government)

Re: FMA DSII+

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:37:25 +0200
Subject: Re: FMA DSII+

Roger Books wrote:

>Yes, I know, DS is already FMA.

Partially FMA, but not completely so. IIRC DS2 was published before Jon
name-protected FMA, but my memory is a bit shaky.

>I'm talking about dropping
>chits and going to a SG style of fire resolution.  Here
>are the initial ideas, probably paraphrased out of SG with
>minor mods.
>
>The attacker rolls 2 dice, one based on Fire control
>and range,  the other based on crew quality.
>
>	      Close   Medium   Long
>Hand aimed   d4       --      --
>Basic	     d8       d6      d4
>Advanced    d10      d8      d6
>Superior    d12      d10     d8

There aren't any "hand aimed" weapons which roll to hit in DS - they
either
just draw chits (like IAVRs), or they have a fire control of some sort.

Also, if you just give the attacker his quality die as a secondary to
the
FCS die you increase the number of hits quite a lot.

>The defender rolls one die based on signature:

[snip]

>The die class may be modified, it can never be
>more than d12 or less than d4, this is _not_ an
>open shift.
>
>Hull down	 +1 DC
>Turret down	 +2 DC
>Evading	 +1 DC
>Popup		 +2 DC
>Infantry in	 +2 DC
>soft cover

OK, so a Very Small vehicle is no harder to hit if it uses cover or
evades
than it would be if it sat parked in the open; similarly a Small VTOL
might
just as well hover in plain sight as do a pop-up attack. Sounds
realistic ;-)

You intend to use to-hit rolls against infantry as well?

>Results:
>
>If defender beats attacker		   no affect
>If one attack die beats defenders die	   minor hit
>If both attack dice beats defenders die   major hit
>

>Minor Hit, Roll Weapon size in appropriate die type and total.
>	     Roll Armour level in d12's and total.
>
>Major	Hit, Roll 2XWeapon size in appropriate die type and total.

This increases the number of kills even further - ie., beyond the effect
of
the added QD in the to-hit mechanic. (Of course it depends on what dice
you
use, but you don't have all that many to choose from.)

>Do a comparision as in SG.

>One thing I still need is a chart.  I'm assuming all weapons do
>d12 in close range (works in nicely with SG) and drop die types
>depending on the weapon.

Uh? Not sure what you refer to here. In SGII the various weapons do not
all
do D12 at close range, neither in Impact nor in fire control, and they
don't drop die types as the range increases...?

>Thoughts?

Much more complex, and therefore much slower, than the current DS system

(or any of the DS-FMA variants I've tried). In a typical SG battle there

aren't all that many anti-vehicle shots, so the extra complexity
compared
to infantry firefights doesn't slow the game very much; in DS they are
the
vast majority of the shots so the added complexity is quite noticable.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.