Prev: DSII: Power Armour Next: Re: DSII: Power Armour

Re: DSII: Power Armour

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 08:49:10 EDT
Subject: Re: DSII: Power Armour

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:17:26 +0100 "Doug Wright"
<dougc.wright@virgin.net> writes:
<snip>

>A discussion point - does PA provide increased protection (5 pips to =
>kill, compared with the standards infantry's 4 in Dirtside II) through
>=
>extra armour - their sealed all-encasing ceramics or steel or
>whatever; =
>somewhat better than the average grunt's kevlar vest and
>'chickenplate' =
>high-velocity inserts - or through speed and manoeuvrability, such as
>=
>the 'Bounce' in Heinlein's Starship Troopers? I'm inclined to think
>that =
>dodging and weaving is more important, so I'm toying with the idea of
>=
>not allowing PA troops to dig in the same as regular infantry and =
>militia. What are people's thoughts?

I assume both but a significant edge to the ability to not be hit which
relates most to protection - and the best protections is digging in.
Moving as protection in an area affect weapon (like artillery)	zone of
fire only works if you get *completely* out of the fire zone.  And I
consider automatic weapons to be 'mini' area affect weapons since the
recoil (and anticipated recoil in some cases) tend to spread the bullets
out in a small area.  Starguard used to reflect this by having hits
within a certain range that "missed" 'stunning' the figure (and close
misses also could 'pin' a character.  Better armor reduced the chance of
being hit but, IIRC, did not change the range of being stunned or
pinned.)

The bounce might allow a quicker close to melee/quicker move out of
range
but in DS2 the longer turn and higher granularity of the game system it
is unlikely that movement would be more protection *in a firefight* then
armor/dug-in position. There is an old saying that a Grunt's best
'weapon' is a shovel.  It's affect is SG2 (which I don't have so I don't
know) might be different.  But I expect it holds true there also.  Best
infantry practice, dig in where ever possible, you can always leave if
necessary.

<snip>

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: DSII: Power Armour Next: Re: DSII: Power Armour