Prev: Re: [FT] Full Thrust-based WW2 Naval Next: Industrial accidents

Re: [FT]Mold probs(Was Scratchbuilding questions)

From: "-MWS-" <mshurtleff1@q...>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 10:43:13 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT]Mold probs(Was Scratchbuilding questions)

At 10:04 AM 9/22/01 -0400, Alderfek@aol.com wrote:
>Hi all,
>   Well, I started to pour lead last night and ran into a problem. One
of
> my molds started to "sweat" so that the more I used that mold, the
> castings come out worse and worse. Any ideas on how to fix ? Could I
just
> bake it out in a oven ? The mold itself I am going to have to redo but
if
> I have this problem again I will need a fix. The mold is made from the

> 1-to-1 RTV material sold by micro-mark.
>
>Thanks,
>Kirk

You'll probably get a better answer over on the [casting] list, but from

personal experience I can state that Micromark's 1-1 RTV is really
designed
for use in resin casting, not whitemetal, and it will only withstand
limited runs from a low temp metal pour before burning out.  If you want
cast in white metal, you really need to switch to vulcanized molds
instead
of RTV ones.

Mark W Shurtleff
     aka "Togashi Gaijin" on the Clan War ML
     aka "Hauptman" on the GZG and Heavy Gear ML
email: hauptman@sfcmd.com     homepage: http://www.sfcmd.com

Prev: Re: [FT] Full Thrust-based WW2 Naval Next: Industrial accidents