Prev: [OT] Hope: An update from Canada Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #665

Re: Just heard the news

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:07:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Just heard the news

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Greg Wong wrote:

> >Just heard about the attacks on the US
> >
> >Nothing else to say.......
> >
> >----------------------
> >Jeremey Claridge
> >germ@germy.co.uk
> >www.germy.co.uk
>
> Evidently a number of airliners were hijacked and purposely crashed
> into the Pentagon, the World Trade Center in New York (which was hit
> by at least two planes) and other places.
>
> As an employee of NASA, I was called this morning and told not to
> come to work.  From my fellow co-workers who were at work earlier this
> morning, I have heard that they are searching every car going into
> the place where I work, and things are a mess.
>
> All airline travel has been suspended within and into the US.  I have
> heard that Canada has also shut down air operations (can someone
> confirm this?).

Not sure about domestic flights, but all US-bound flights are being
diverted to Canadian airports. Given that the trans-Atlantic &
trans-Pacific polar routes are the two busiest air routes on the planet,
there's hundreds of extra flights into Canadian airports right now, and
naturally gonzo security - the RCMP & Forces are stretched flat out.

My condolences, for what it's worth, to all the Americans on the list.
This should have stayed in Tom Clancy's novels were it belongs...

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -

Prev: [OT] Hope: An update from Canada Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #665