Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: RE: (SGII/FT)GZG List #357,getting out of 25mm (commercial break)

Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

From: "Robert W. Eldridge" <bob_eldridge@m...>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 22:11:20 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

That's why most first-rank navies (US, UK, etc) equip their shipborne
helicopters with short range SSMs such as Penguin or  Sea Skua. If I
recall
correctly, the Sea Skua was designed from the beginning as an anti-FPB
weapon. These missiles allow the helicopter to engage an FPB from beyond
the
range of most of the onboard guns and shoulder-fired SAM's likely to be
found on such ships. I believe I read that the South Korean Navy was
actually building a helicopter carrier, and in any case those
helicopters
could be shore-based as well for South Korea's purposes. If the South
Koreans operate numbers of SH-60's for instance, those fishing boats
would
go from threat to sitting duck real fast.