Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 21:31:29 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

At 9:25 PM -0400 9/5/01, Z. Lakel wrote:
>Don said:
>
>>  > Have you seen the old Twilight 2000 US Army Vehicle Guide?
>>  In it they had a M920 a Hellfire AT HAMMER HEAD Launcher
>>  on a Bradley. I think the only thing stopping this one is the price
>>  tag, DOD is squeamish about giving a million bucks a shot to a
>>  E-2 to play with ...)
>
>Just wondering, but what exactly is the "M920 Hellfire AT Hammer Head"
>mentioned above?

A theoretical arrangement of a launcher for Hellfire missiles. If you
look at a photo of a M901 ITV
(http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m901.htm), that funny
looking part on top is capable of firing 2 TOW missiles. The Hellfire
idea is to mount a longer ranged missile on a small package. Tow goes
for about 4 klicks, Hellfire will go out to about 8. Well beyond
visual so you're going to be handing the missile off to someone else
to get it to land at that range on   a real target.

Hellfire
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/agm-114.htm

TOW
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/tow.htm

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	 \ Toronto, Gun down some squeegee kids, - NRA -
- www.rawa.org	  \  Then you can host the Olympics too!       -

Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?