Prev: Re: Campaigns Next: RE: Campaigns

Re: Campaigns

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:49:31 -0400
Subject: Re: Campaigns

At 4:38 AM -0700 8/24/01, David Griffin wrote:
> When the Liberties were built modular construction
>was an alien concept and as you say, it paid
>dividends for wartime construction. Now, we even
>use similar modular tactics for our regular ships
>(at least somewhat). Do you think this is done in
>the FT world, or are the ships pretty much handmade?

It probably depends on the nation and its current doctrine. The US
builds DDGs, SSBNs and a few other ships with the modular design.
Carriers aren't.

Now, looking at ships, it appears that the all of the 4 major nations
use some Modular construction for some ships with some common parts.
Now there modular construction could also be part and parcel for
subcomponents or for hulls in general.

Likely the building process is subcomponent fabrication on the
surface of low gravity planetoids and then are lifted to orbit for
final assembly of the major components.

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -

Prev: Re: Campaigns Next: RE: Campaigns