Prev: [OT] Jagdpanzer Panther Next: Re: Campaigns

Re: [OT] Jagdpanzer Panther

From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:23:27 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] Jagdpanzer Panther

KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:

> No, I am not talking about the Jagdpanther of WWII.
>
> Tony Francis schrieb:
> > It's a light APC with a very small (remote ?) turret.
> > It's the same sort of configuration as the German Marder MICV
>
> Which reminds me:
>
> I came across some old press notes:
>
> In the 1980's the Bundeswehr tended for proposals for a new
> tank-killer vehicle ("Jagdpanzer Panther") using anti-tank missiles.
> Apparently the idea was to mount a hydraulic platform on an armoured
> hull (Marder or PZH 2000). The hydraulic platform would carry a pack
> of missiles (HOT or similar) and could be elevated as high as 12 m to
> shoot over trees, low hills, or buildings.
>
> Apparently Krauss-Maffei built two prototypes that were tested by the
> Bundeswehr.
>
> The project was canceled in 1993.
>
> Anyone ( Oerjan ? ) know more ? Any pictures/drawings ?

I have seen pictures of this before, but don't ask me where ! A quick
scan through the office copy of Jane's doesn't mention it, and I haven't
found anything in a five-minute trawl of the web.

> Something similar might make a nice project for a DS2 or SG vehicle
> conversion - I think one of the Battletech vehicles featured such an
> elevating turret.

IIRC it looked very similar to the Radarpanzer version of the Marder -
but with missiles instead of the radar at the end of the hydraulic arm.
It would be a fairly simple modelling job, especially at DS2 scale.
Hmmm, I feel a variant to one of the Brigade APCs coming on ...

Tony

Tony Francis
Senior Software Engineer

Prev: [OT] Jagdpanzer Panther Next: Re: Campaigns