Prev: Re: [OT]Scanning minis Next: Re: [OT] I blame Agis

Re: [OT]Scanning minis

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 04:49:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [OT]Scanning minis

--- "K.H.Ranitzsch" <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de> wrote:

> I have variously read about people scanning
> miniatures. When I try to do
> this, I get pictures that are woefully out of focus.
> Even re-sharpening with
> Adobe photoshop doesn't help much. Are there special
> tricks to it ? Or do
> you need the right type of scanner ?

Scanning miniatures on the flatbed is easy so I
do it a lot, but it works a lot better if the
miniature
is basically flat. I don't drape anything over it
because I want the background to come out black.

You can get better shots with a camera of course.
I have a little digital for web pics (An olympus
clamshell design) that has a close focus mode that
works really well for this, but the scanner is
still easier. But as you point out, the scanner
has a slim plane of focus (they don't need more
for scanning flat objects which is what they're
made for). Perhaps some have a better zone of
focus.

Prev: Re: [OT]Scanning minis Next: Re: [OT] I blame Agis