Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: Astronomy Questions

RE: [FT] WotW #11 Stealth Systems - Poll

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 19:11:16 +0100
Subject: RE: [FT] WotW #11 Stealth Systems - Poll

In message
<2A5C49585B46EC42BB99D3000F725D470232EA49@col1smx01.dscc.dla.mil>
	  "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@dscc.dla.mil> wrote:

> Hmmm.
>
> This is a tough call. I have not been following the thread closely, so
I do
> not know the range band modifiers. I would hope that they are not more
than
> 3mu out of 12 (1/4) or 2mu out of 6 (1/3).
>
> The problem, as I see it, with range band reduction is that it applies
> different penealty to each weapon system. That is if you reduce the
range
> bands of a Beam by 1mu, that is only 1/12 change, but for a P-Torp, it
is
> 1/6 (2x the difference). Perhaps this was addressed.

Noams proposal was (IIRC) reduce 12mu to 9mu, and 6mu to 4.5mu for
Stealth-1, further levels reduce 12mu bands by a further -1, and 6mu
bands by a further -0.5.

Or, rounding to the nearest mu:

Stealth Level	12mu bands	6mu bands
1		9		5
2		8		4
3		7		4

> On the other hand, screens vs 1-roll weapons (combined to-hit & damage
roll)
> and -1 vs 2-roll weapons (those who roll to-hit and then roll damage),
seems
> like it would be better placed as some type of Shield system (see
earlier
> thread, especially Oerjan's comments).

I've been taking to think of the former as 'beam-class' weapons and the
latter as 'bolt-class'. I do remember the thread in question - the one
that concerns the possibility that a 'universal' defence system (which
stealth _almost_ is) would devalue k-guns.
I have a (possible) counter argument - a hypothetical 'universal'
defence system that gave the same defence against all weapons is
(disregarding threshold rolls) equivalent to the ship carrying it having
more hull boxes - so, do not 'Strong' or 'Super' hulls devalue K-guns?
- That's something to think about! ;-)
I don't actually remember this complaint when this mechanism was
proposed for Holofields.

> Of the 2, I would prefer (A) Range band modifications. But I fear that
this
> may get too complicated with seperate range bands for 12mu based, 9mu
based
> (SV Stingers), 6mu based, and close (fighters, missiles, etc.).

Hmm... we seem to have forgotten about the 9mu stinger range band
proposal, I guess we use the following:

Stealth Level	9mu bands
1		7
2		6
3		5

> Also, range band reduction seems to have more than a linear effect.
Noam may
> wish to post a 2nd thread posting our conversation about Sa'Vasku 9mu
range
> bands in the PBEM game Sentient Strife (or he may wish until the game
is
> finished). At this point, I will just say that 9mu range bands MAY be
too
> limiting for SV under vector.
>
> -----
> Brian Bell
> -----

[snip original]

Is that more than linear by the amount of range band reduction, or more
than linear by the mass of the carrying ship?

Charles

Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: Astronomy Questions