Prev: Re: ADFC, Vector, SMs and Fighters... Next: Re: hot ships, cold space - but is the beer cold?

Re: [SGish] APC question

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 23:40:11 EDT
Subject: Re: [SGish] APC question

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 12:46:03 +1000 "Fulton, Beth (CMR, Hobart)"
<Beth.Fulton@marine.csiro.au> writes:
>G'day,

<snip>

>>I'd suspect it's just like that "retreat" call.
>
>Having absolutely no military experience, I take it when a "retreat"
>goes up
>everybody just listens ( as if someone says it that mean it) or does
>some
>one try and impose order on the situation (e.g. Sarge) if its not what
>they
>want to see happening?

See below for caveat Emptor but 'retreat' doesn't brook delay (unless
you're Horatio at the bridge) and sometimes it's a panicked individual's
voice calling retreat before it's necessary that has more then once
caused a shaken but intact group of warriors to become a fleeing mob.
That's why orders like 'retreat', 'pull back,' etc. are not the arena of
common soldiers and restricted in general to decisions by Squad leaders,
Officers, Platoon Sergeants, etc.  Otherwise the most shaken guy in the
unit would be calling it at the most inopportune times...

>Thanks
>
>Beth

Well, Beth, take this with a grain of salt because I was a USAF Hospital
(Ortho clinic the last four years) type stationed CONUS all 7+ years -
but a voice that you recognize and are used to obeying (say of your
Squad
Leader) cuts loose with a clearly understood command "might" stop/delay
your departing the APC but I expect that if you had "bang" and
heat/smoke
and *anyone* indicated any evasive action was advised (verbal or
dropping
the ramp and bailing out) that the squad would reorganize outside the
APC
because that would be where the majority of it would be...

"Command voice" can have an impact but if you've drilled to evacuate the
APC and it 'looks' like you've been hit significantly I expect you would
evaluate the damage from outside as a rule.  Trained reactions take
priority over standing around waiting to see if  fuel/ammo  cooks off
before the NCO orders you out - assuming he/she  isn't KIA/WIA...

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: ADFC, Vector, SMs and Fighters... Next: Re: hot ships, cold space - but is the beer cold?