Prev: OT: MAATKARA Next: RE: [FT] Big GenCon thank you

Re: [DS] Detatched HQ elements

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 18:47:13 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS] Detatched HQ elements

At 1:31 PM -0700 8/9/01, Jakim Friant wrote:

>Detached?  How do you work that?  Are they seperate
>units for game purposes and you just have a mental
>note that they're usually attached to the HQ?	I don't
>remember anything in DS about detaching units.

Well, I say detached. It all occurs prior to the start of the game so
it doesn't really matter game terms wise.

Generally you have a fire support team allocated to a company or
battalion commander. Procedures allow for that FIST[1]track to be
attached to the company or Btn HQ, or to be flexible and on its own.
Sometimes I add the FIST to the command platoon (usually its a FO
team attached to the Command Platoon in mechanized infantry units).
Sometimes its a separate track that is independent (its own platoon
level command element) and will move to the best observation position
for support of the fire elements of the company.

The same is true for the Mortar platoons associated with armoured and
mechanized units. Sometimes its attached, usually detached and one of
the stands is nominated as the "command" element for that platoon.
Often times if there is a CBR element attached, that functions as the
platoon cmd element.

I've been running the Tank company command platoon as a three vehicle
platoon. One is the Company Commander, and one is the XO and PSG in
other tanks. Since the XO usually rides around in a TOC I've
rationalized that the additional gear isn't necessary and he can ride
around like the Coy CO does. I think I may start breaking them up or
detaching individuals as a means of executing the various jobs those
units typically perform. Say if a tank is damaged and the rest of
that platoon has moved forwards, then the PSG or XO would move to
cover that tank while the recovery track moves up to take it under
tow or to repair the damage.

Other units that I typically run as separate elements or as small
teams are recovery engineers and scout teams. Usually the
organization of the Division scout company (for the NAC Scottish
Hussars, tank division) is 10 wheeled Armoured cars (size 2) and 5
more larger armoured cars (size 3) with two infantry stands within.
They operate in trebles, 2 of the size 2s and 1 size 3. As a unit
they do pretty well in the assigned role of scouting and
anti-scouting. The dismounts provide a good means of moving to the
front of a tree line before the vehicles move up. When main elements
of enemy forces are identified the scout platoon commander (one of
the dismounts) calls fire (attempts to) and then will break contact
if possible. If they find other scouts, they attempt to destroy them.
Usually a tank or Mech platoon will advance to contact and assist.
(You'd be surprised how smoothly that process can go once you've
worked the procedures out to game terms. One of the gamers in the
Atlanta group is an ex light infantryman and liked the way I scouted
and shifted to combat smoothly. "A good example of an advance to
contact and fire drill"...is what he called it I think...

1. FIST, Fire Support Team, typically a Forward observer team
attached from Division or Battalion levels that either coordinates
fire support or acts as a forward observer. Typically it is comprised
of an APC/MICV's worth of personnel. Some of those personnel are
attached to the Company HQ unit, with the vehicle being allocated to
act as an additional command post for the artillery coordination or
to act as a FO team in support of fire units (combat platoons). The
arrangement is dependant upon tactical needs and dispositions of
vehicles and space available (sometimes the CO and a second of the
FIST will ride with the CO of the unit, in armoured units this is
difficult as the Coy CO rides in a tank and can't take additional
personnel without compromising the tank's ability to fight, in that
case the 2 additional people ride with the XO or stay in their own
track.)

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	Toronto, Gun down some squeegee kids,	 - NRA -
-		 Then you can host the Olympics too!	       -

Prev: OT: MAATKARA Next: RE: [FT] Big GenCon thank you