Prev: Re: [FT] Quick GenCon Rundown Next: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 15:34:31 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

At 4:23 AM -0400 8/8/01, Donald Hosford wrote:
>I like your calculations.  Figuring how big to make the grid is the
easy
>part...ever tried figuring out how big the map sheet will be?
>
>120 hexs across at about 5/8ths per hex (assuming hexs for 1/2"
counters) is
>about
>75" square.  Thats about 6.25 feet on a side.
>Enormous map!
>
>Not everyone has access to that much room for a single map.

Well, I'm looking at the possibility for two maps. One for the Ship
actions to be fought on. And one for the players to move stuff around
on. The large size of the map would allow for a good area of play. If
one wanted to go smaller you could of course. The trick is to be sure
it scales up. The advantage of having just task forces and not entire
ships is that you could sit down and note each down based on Hex
numbers and revisit the game over several successive days. Another
idea would be a wall mount map with adhesive or slightly tacky
icons/labels for the task forces/blips.

A 6'x6' wall map would work well I think. Laminate it and you could
use grease pencils ala the Ops rooms on board ships. (Nice because
your situation maps don't crash if they are grease pencil marks.)

>Donald Hosford.
>
>Ryan Gill wrote:
>
>>  At 6:44 PM -0400 8/6/01, Laserlight wrote:
>>  > > 80-100 hexes across is the overall map known as Theatre Action
Scale
>>  >
>>  >That's a LOT of hexes, don't you think?
>>
>>  It may get scaled down, but some of the size is due to the need for
>>  the correct scale representing an entire system. Generally you're
>>  going to be fighting near planets or on the axis between an attacker
>>  and the planets you are defending. So there will be a lot of empty
>>  space that you don't fight in. But, remember, that 100 across is
>>  diameter, its half that from edge to center.
>>
>>  If its too small then the entire inside area of the Solar System
(the
>>  benchmark) is going to be in one hex area. Thats too small. The
earth
>>  is at 1 Astronomical Unit (143 x10^6 miles),
>>  Venus   .72 AU
>>  Mercury .4 AU
>>  Mars    1.5 AU
>>  Jupiter 5 AU
>>  Saturn 9.5 AU
>>  Uranus  19 AU
>>  Neptune 30 AU
>>  Pluto   39 AU
>>
>>  If a map is based on .5 AU per hex then from center to Uranus will
be
>>  38 hexes out with a diameter of 76 across. Neptune will be 60 hexes
>>  out and 120 hexes across.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	Toronto, Gun down some squeegee kids,	 - NRA -
-		 Then you can host the Olympics too!	       -

Prev: Re: [FT] Quick GenCon Rundown Next: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions