Prev: FT-Movement, corkscrewing Next: Re: [SG] Ship building

Re: FT-Movement, corkscrewing

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 13:51:38 +0100
Subject: Re: FT-Movement, corkscrewing

In message <000701c11da6$e2754f40$54c2893e@inty>
	  "Bif Smith" <bif@bifsmith.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> I was just reading the skunkworks page, and some comments about the
"do we
> realy need another weapon that makes a SD better at killing a DD", and
the
> corkscrew maneuver, and reading HH, gives me a idea. How about a
maneuver
> that allows a smaller ship to spin on it`s axis, and fire weapons on a
> target in it side arc even with both side arc weapons (if the target
is in
> the port fore arc, and the ship had a weapon in it`s port fore arc,
and
> starboard fore arc, if it was spinning, it counld fire both weapons at
the
> target). For PSB, we could say that only smaller ships can do this due
> the lower mass to spin in the first place.
>
> This is a rough idea that I wouldn`t use, but I thought I`d put it
foreward
> to see what people thought?
>
> BIF

Check out the weapons archive, manoeuvre section:
Noam proposes a 'Corkscrew manoeuvre, as follows:

# Corkscrew [Noam Izenberg] (NIFT-Midbar Skunkworks)
# Like a Roll, but more severe. Cost is 3 thrust. Roll 1 die at end of
# turn to determine final roll status of ship: Odd, ship is rolled,
# even, ship is "upright". A Corkscrew allows Port and Starboard facing
# weapons to fire in _either_ Port or Starboard arcs. To-hit rolls for
# _all_ weapons on 'Corking' ship receive -1. SM's etc. get -1 or -2 to
# #missiles that lock on.  'Corking' ships may accelerate and
decelerate
# without penalty, but if the ship turns, it takes 1 beam die damage
# (with rerolls) per 20 Mass per point of turn due to stress.

A bit more complex than your proposal. I'm not sure the 3 thrust cost
would limit it to smaller ships (as burning most of your thrust to get
most of your guns to bear is probably worth it!)

Prev: FT-Movement, corkscrewing Next: Re: [SG] Ship building