Prev: Re: [FT] WotW #11 Stealth Systems - alternate suggestion Next: Re: Finally my own website - high quality UNSC and Islam pictures

Re: [KV] Colors (was Re: Movies)

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 10:18:49 +1000
Subject: Re: [KV] Colors (was Re: Movies)

G'day,

 >As I understand it, the blind spot is present because the
 >visual nerves run "inside" the rods and cones. In octopus, on the
 >other hand, the nerves run "outside" the rods and cones, removing
 >the need for a blind spot.

Yep this comes from the different ways the eye evolved, ours are an
extension of the brain while octopus' started as a pocket in the skin.
That's what's so potentially cool about alien physiology, they might not

have a blind spot, but they may well have more than one, it all depends
on
how their eye evolved and from what.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053