Prev: GZG-L ARCHIVES (was Re: Okay, how does this work...) Next: Re: [KV] Colors (was Re: Movies)

Re: [FT] WotW #11 Stealth Systems - alternate suggestion

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 23:14:30 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW #11 Stealth Systems - alternate suggestion

In message <bb0553a34a.Charles@cableol.co.uk>
	  Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@cableol.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> > > OTOH, I'm increasingly in favour of extending the Holofield
concept to
> > > embrace stealth.
> >
> > Also sounds good to me. We should ask the originator (Aaron, right?)
> >
> > Noam
> >
> Charles

Well, the version of Holofield we agreed on was this (based on Aaron's
version)

> MASS: 10% of Hull MASS of the ship, min. 4 MASS. COST: 3xMASS
>  OR
> MASS: 5% of Hull MASS, min. 2 MASS. COST: 8xMASS
>
> Effect as screen-1 vs. all beam weapons (including stingers and
pulsers)
> and Submunitions Packs, Multiple Kinetic Penetrators, Kra'Vak fighters
> and Scatterguns used in anti-ship mode (all the latter use the 'beam
> dice' mechanic, but without re-rolls in the last 3 cases).
>
> -1 to the value of the 'to hit' dice roll (i.e. treat 2 as a 1, 5 as a
> 4, etc.) vs. K-guns, pulse torpedoes, pod launchers (where
appropriate)
> and weapons with a similar mechanic.
>
> No effect on plasma bolts, nova cannon, wave guns, and other area
effect
> weapons.
>
> The only one we're not sure about is Missiles:
> One possibility is to reduce the 'lock on range' of both MT missiles
and
> Salvo Missiles - I think to 5 mu (2.5 mu if playing Vector and using a
> 3 mu lock on range) is about right.
>
> Another is my suggestion of treating the holofield as an 'extra' PDS
vs.
> each MT missile or salvo.
>
> Does not function with either screens or vapour shrouds (no reason why
> you can't have both installed - just the effects are not cumulative).

So, expanding this for Stealth systems:
Level-1 Stealth system/hull
MASS is 5% of hull (minimum of 2?), COST is 8x MASS
Effects as above, Missiles use the reduced lock-on range of 5mu.
Either is a thresholdable system (Stealth Generator) or is automatically
lost at the second threshold (Stealth Hull) (I'm not sure these two
options are of equal value).
Halves ships apparent sensor signature.

Level-2 Stealth system/hull
MASS is 10% of hull (minimum of 4?), COST is 8x MASS
Counts as a level-2 screen vs. all beam weapons, pulsars, stingers,
SMPs, MKPs, all fighters, and scatterguns used in anti-ship mode.
-2 to the 'to hit' dice roll for pulse torpedoes, k-guns, and pod
launchers.
Reduces lock-on range of missiles to 4mu (adjust for different base
lock-on ranges in cinematic).
Either treated as two stealth generators (c.f. screens) (Generator), or
automatically loses one level on second threshold, and other level on
third (Hull).
Quarters ships apparent sensor signature.

Additional levels have no further effect, but act as spares (only for
generators).

In summary, the Stealth systems are:

Stealth System - as described, levels 1 & 2.

Stealth Hull - as described, levels 1 & 2

Holofield = Stealth level 1

Blind Field: effect as Stealth level-2, but also affects
attacks by carrying ship in the same way as incoming fire while active.
It also protects any other ships within 1 mu (which are also affected).
MASS 10%? COST 8x MASS?
Or: allow the radius of protection to vary, and base MASS and COST on
this radius: say: MASS 10 per mu of radius squared, COST 8x MASS ?

Mimbari Jammer = Stealth Level 2

Fighter Stealth - as Noam has it, level-1 = Heavy Fighter,  level-2 =
'super heavy fighter': as heavy fighter, but rolls of 6 against it only
kill 1 fighter.

And a couple of new options:
Sa'Vas'Ku Stealth Node: as equivalent level of stealth, but requires 1
power per mass of stealth node from the D pool to activate.

Phalon Stealth Shroud Gland: Effect as stealth level 2, but phalon ship
cannot fire on any turn that the stealth shroud is deployed.
MASS 5% of hull mass (minimum of 1), COST = 5x MASS?

Well, what does everyone think?

Charles

Prev: GZG-L ARCHIVES (was Re: Okay, how does this work...) Next: Re: [KV] Colors (was Re: Movies)