Prev: RE: [FT] Ship Names Next: RE: [Paint]

RE: [FT] Cloaking Device. was: Sub systems

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 07:22:58 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] Cloaking Device. was: Sub systems

> Deep Diving (full cloak):  The ship drops off sensors and uses the
full
> Cloaking rules from MT (# turns under cloak declared etc).  No power
> expenditure except for MD is allowed (and must be prewritten as per MT
> rules)
> Periscope Depth ("Looking Glass"):  The ship moves on the table as
normal,
> expending power as above.  It can be targetted by ships with Enhanced
or
> Superior Sensors as normal.  Ships with only firecontrols active can
only
> launch ordinance weapons (SML/Plasmabolts etc), unless the
> cloaked ship has
> fired non-ordinance weapons itself this turn.

My current iteration on the rules is similar.

Keeping the Mass and Cost as FB.

Full Cloak (or Deep Cloak): As per MT.

Lurking (or Half-Cloak): Can See and Fire all weapons. However: Each
Turn
all opposing ships can roll 1d6. On a 6, the lurking ship can be spotted
and
fired upon *that turn only*. The ship is -1 to hit per die with all
weapons
unless Active Sensors are used (save for MT missiles or fighters of
course,
<g>)

Mods to Roll to Detect:

+1 Enhanced Sensors
+2 Superior Sensors
+1 per weapon system fired that turn by the Lurking ship.
+1 per Thrust Point used by Lurking ship (Includes Thrusters!).
+1 Active Sensors Used by Lurking Ship

When moving from Normal to Lurk it is fired at with a -1 per die, when
in a
turn that it is going from Lurk to Full Cloak it has an x2 range effect
when
fired at.

A ship has to change to Lurk mode before changing to Full Cloak mode.
(Thus
Full Cloak takes 2 rounds to achieve)

A ship can fire on the turn that it comes out of Deep mode.

Going from Lurk to Full Cloak or from Normal to Lurk is a firing action.
have generally let the ship use an extra Firecon for "Cloaking
operations"
and thus be able to pop-up, fire, and then sink back down into Full
Cloak
mode and getting the double range bonus on being hit for the turn (and
possibly a further -1 if no active sensors are used). Moving to Full
Cloak
has to be declared at the start of the turn (or as soon as they "come
up")

Ships come out of Full Cloak and/or Lurk at the beginning of turns.

Yes they are nasty, but it seems to work out in play.

Prev: RE: [FT] Ship Names Next: RE: [Paint]